Keeping Your Corporate Groups Onsite
By Scott Flynn Founder & CEO, Best Corporate Events, LLC and SmartHunts, LLC | September 06, 2015
On average, 60% of a hotel's revenue comes from room sales. The other 40% comes from food, beverage, AV, meeting space, and other hotel services. Onsite events will increase your hotel's revenue simply by keeping your large groups onsite. This increases your opportunity to sell F&B and other hotel services while decreasing your corporate groups' expenditures on buses and offsite activities.
Whether your hotel is located on the beach, in the mountains, in a city, or on a golf course, onsite events can offer a variety of options that are really attractive to corporate client groups. Busing large groups from a hotel to an area attraction will cost your client time and money that comes directly out of their travel budget.
Companies that want to inject everything from fun to professional development can stay onsite and enjoy a host of activities that will meet their goals and objectives and fit within tight conference schedules.
Although most events work quite well in a ballroom, many attendees at conferences would appreciate the chance to get up and get moving, so events can also take place in outdoor spaces, such as lawns, patios, pool decks, and virtually any space that can accommodate their group size. These activities not only benefit the group's overall experience but also add a multitude of opportunities to increase the hotel's food & beverage revenue.
Even though there may be some great sights to explore around a hotel, frequently conference planners are working within timeframes that don't allow large amounts of time for sightseeing. Conversely, a hotel may be in a remote location that doesn't offer any nearby attractions. Either way, a hotel that offers onsite events to their corporate groups, by working with an experienced corporate event and teambuilding company, can provide a menu of options that are sure to please any group's size and timeframe.
It is important to point out that many companies have "training budgets" that are distinctly separate from their "travel and entertainment budgets," so onsite events bought during a 3 or 4 day corporate meeting, especially if they are contracted and paid directly with an outside corporate events company, can be written off under a company's training budget so it doesn't diminish from the company's "travel and entertainment" budget allocated for your hotel.
Typically onsite events range from 2-3 hours in length, often involve a food and beverage service, and can even take place during dinner. They fall into five basic categories, which are discussed below.
The Hotel Business Review articles are free to read on a weekly basis, but you must purchase a subscription to access
our library archives. We have more than 5000 best practice articles on hotel management and operations, so our
knowledge bank is an excellent investment! Subscribe today and access the articles in our archives.