The Wave of Turnover is Coming

By Sherri Merbach Managing Director, C-Suite Analytics | June 26, 2011

If history repeats itself, your employee turnover is about to shoot up. This has been true during the recovery periods after each recession in the past 20 years, and it makes sense that workers who have slowed their urges to change jobs now have pent-up drives to do so. More importantly, those who survived the great recession by "doing more with less", which is another phrase for working their tails off, are ready for a scenery change. This is especially true if they feel unappreciated or work for a manager who they don't trust. Various studies indicate anywhere between 50% and 90% of workers plan to change.

Added to this news is undeniable data that your best workers can find another job anytime. Looking back to the depths of the recession, voluntary quits fell just 11%. Or said another way, your chances of losing a worker you wanted to keep was a full 89% as it was when the economy was strong. Another study indicates that voluntary quits went up rather than down after layoffs.

So ask yourself: Who is held accountable for undesirable turnover? What are the consequences of unacceptable turnover? Who provides recognition, training, and coaching on turnover? When was the last time an employee said "I've got a jerk for a boss but am staying here for the company picnic?" Does your company solve retention with processes driven from the top or with programs driven by HR?

If you are ready to tackle your turnover challenge, continue reading to learn the "secret sauce" - three key solutions that will help you solve this problem. Specific actions and tactics are included for implementation. After these solutions the precise role that HR should play is detailed out as well as the critical role that leaders play.

Drive retention from the top is the first solution. Executives have the greatest impact on achieving retention goals. Executives must direct this initiative by positioning retention as one of their top five priorities. Think about how your company manages sales, service, quality, and safety and then build those same methods for retention. This means holding leaders of every department accountable for their retention and leveraging HR to support them with redesigning processes and training from initial hiring processes to leadership skill-building.

Next solution is to build momentum with data. Only 33% of U.S. organizations place a cost on employee turnover, and this number decreases to 18% around the world. Consider that if 80%+ of your competitors are "old school" on retention, how much of a competitive advantage is available to you by going "new school" by establishing and enforcing retention goals? Ideally, collect and report on who quit, when they quit, and whom they worked for. A 20,000 employee insurance company created this reporting in their HRMS system and found that turnover happens disproportionately across the company and is concentrated among a few supervisors.

Choose a Social Network!

The social network you are looking for is not available.

Close

Hotel Newswire Headlines Feed  

Tim Peter
Tony Heung
Dennis Rizzo
Dianna Vaughan
Chris Charbonnet
Bruce Seigel
Sara Djubek
Eileen McDargh
Lisa Cain
Coming up in May 2019...

Eco-Friendly Practices: Corporate Social Responsibility

The hotel industry has undertaken a long-term effort to build more responsible and socially conscious businesses. What began with small efforts to reduce waste - such as paperless checkouts and refillable soap dispensers - has evolved into an international movement toward implementing sustainable development practices. In addition to establishing themselves as good corporate citizens, adopting eco-friendly practices is sound business for hotels. According to a recent report from Deloitte, 95% of business travelers believe the hotel industry should be undertaking “green” initiatives, and Millennials are twice as likely to support brands with strong management of environmental and social issues. Given these conclusions, hotels are continuing to innovate in the areas of environmental sustainability. For example, one leading hotel chain has designed special elevators that collect kinetic energy from the moving lift and in the process, they have reduced their energy consumption by 50%  over conventional elevators. Also, they installed an advanced air conditioning system which employs a magnetic mechanical system that makes them more energy efficient. Other hotels are installing Intelligent Building Systems which monitor and control temperatures in rooms, common areas and swimming pools, as well as ventilation and cold water systems. Some hotels are installing Electric Vehicle charging stations, planting rooftop gardens, implementing stringent recycling programs, and insisting on the use of biodegradable materials. Another trend is the creation of Green Teams within a hotel's operation that are tasked to implement earth-friendly practices and manage budgets for green projects. Some hotels have even gone so far as to curtail or eliminate room service, believing that keeping the kitchen open 24/7 isn't terribly sustainable. The May issue of the Hotel Business Review will document what some hotels are doing to integrate sustainable practices into their operations and how they are benefiting from them.