How Mobile Technology is Changing the Pre-stay, In-room and Post-stay Experience
By Pedro Colaco President & CEO, GuestCentric Systems | July 17, 2011
With the buzz surrounding mobile Internet usage for travel, many hoteliers are wondering whether to adopt mobile as a component of their strategy both on-property and online. This article is the result of a study of over 300 properties using mobile technologies and discusses the most important items to take into consideration when thinking about the mobile experience whether pre-stay, on your property and what happens after your guests have left:
The mobile mega-trend
Three articles in the last few days have caught my attention:
- Forrester predicts mobile commerce to hit $32 billion by 2016
- Meraki says mobile devices have overtaken PCs in WiFi usage
- Paypal expects to do $3 billion in mobile payments this year
All these articles have caught my eye because they represent different facets of the same reality shift that is happening before our eyes: access to information on the Internet has become truly always on with mobile access. This ubiquitous access means that Internet consumers are increasingly multi-tasking and making decisions on the fly, while they are mobile.
What does this new reality entail in the World of hospitality? Three different realities:
- Pre-stay consumers will rely heavily on mobile access to content to get inspired, gain information and make decisions on where to stay.
- During the stay hoteliers must leverage mobile technology to provide better service, anticipate guest needs and engage guests to provide them a truly unique experience at the destination.
- Post-stay hotel managers must create touch points to maximize possible positive reviews and feedback and be vigilant to stifle negative feedback.
Mobile pre-stay is here now
The Hotel Business Review articles are free to read on a weekly basis, but you must purchase a subscription to access
our library archives. We have more than 5000 best practice articles on hotel management and operations, so our
knowledge bank is an excellent investment! Subscribe today and access the articles in our archives.