The Power of Proper Purchasing: Decisions That Make Sure You Won't Miss Deals, Trends, or Deadlines
By Amy Locke Director, Interior Design, Hatchett Hospitality | June 04, 2010
Banks are on the verge of lending again. And franchisers are poised to issue property improvement plans (PIP's) for properties that have been neglected over the past two years, especially those owned and being operated under foreclosure by banks.
These trends mean we're about to see a wave of investing in both new and existing hotel properties – and owners will be making significant decisions about furniture, fixtures, and equipment (FF&E). Let's review some purchasing suggestions which can help you properly capture deals, design directions, and deadlines.
In-house Staff or Outside Professional?
The typical limited service hotel will need to purchase more than 2,500 line items, 250 of which may be specified. These items may come from 70 or more companies. Obviously this generates hundreds of purchase orders over many months – a process that must be carefully managed:
- so all product options and specifications are thoroughly evaluated for desired function, quality, durability, and brand standards
- so the right items are purchased at the right price and in the right quantity
- so every order is delivered to the proper location on the scheduled date
- so all installation is done in a way that enhances product performance and maintains the integrity of manufacturer warranties
- so all appropriate follow-up service is received from vendors in a timely manner
If you consider having an in-house staff person handle your FF&E purchasing, you should also consider (1) whether that person has the appropriate experience and expertise, and (2) to what degree the person's other responsibilities will be impacted or neglected.
The Hotel Business Review articles are free to read on a weekly basis, but you must purchase a subscription to access
our library archives. We have more than 5000 best practice articles on hotel management and operations, so our
knowledge bank is an excellent investment! Subscribe today and access the articles in our archives.